I’m not supposed to say what it is yet, so I won’t – but it’s very exciting.
For me, anyway.
Whereas the first two parts of this went well, if in unexpected directions, this third part has been a nightmare.
It’s one of those projects which didn’t quite make sense on the first draft, but has stubbornly refused to make any sense since. There was one thread which needed sorting out, it wasn’t completely wrong, it was just … a little odd.
No problem, just fix it and make it work.
Except I couldn’t.
I spent a whole day on Thursday trying to pick it apart and make it make sense only to find time and again I was causing myself more and more problems. Every time I thought I had one part sorted I realised none of the rest made any sense.
A whole day.
At the end of the day, I deleted everything I’d written – it was a complete pile of shit.
Friday was pretty much the same. I spent the majority of the day trying to find the answer, trying different methods of putting the story together, looking for a solution which would make it all fall into place.
Unlike the other two parts, there wasn’t a ‘Eureka!’ moment when it all suddenly fell into place. It was a gradual struggle which resolved itself so slowly I wasn’t really aware it had worked until I’d finished.
Part of me is angry about wasting so much time. I could have written something else on Thursday – one of the three movie treatments various people are expecting, for example. Instead, I fannied around for hours and eventually wrote myself into a dead end.
On the other hand, I recognise it’s a necessary process to eliminate the weaker ideas and (hopefully) produce the best version possible. Sometimes the ideas come easily, sometimes they take a while to be coaxed out.
I’d like to say it’s more satisfying the longer it takes to perfect – but it’s not, it’s just more irritating.
Oh well, it’s done now and it’s away. Just got to wait patiently and see what the verdict is.